Thursday 1 June 2017

Aladdin and the King of Thieves

So after the financial success of the Return of Jafar, Disney began to do a lot more including the next Aladdin sequel, The King of Thieves. This is a sequel that's a whole lot better than the last one. Does that mean it's really great? No, not really, I don't entirely like this movie, but it's not that bad. What's the story? Aladdin and Jasmine are finally getting married but Aladdin is sad because he wants to invite his dad to the wedding but he never knew his dad. But suddenly he hears about the king of the 40 thieves, and wouldn't you know it, his father is the king. He's trying to get a sceptre from the palace that can lead him to the Hand of Mitus which is the greatest treasure of all time. So Aladdin and his dad are trying to find it and are trying to connect with each other but are having trouble doing that. And the rest is them try to do that, Aladdin having to put off the wedding and trying to survive from the villain trying to kill them and take the Hand for himself. So, again, this story should be easy to make entertaining and enjoyable, and while it is an improvement over the last movie, there are still a lot of problems. The biggest problem is my opinion is that the characters aren't well fleshed out. Especially the father. What he says and what he does don't make a whole lot of sense. At the start he says that the reason he was never with Aladdin was because he wasn't able to provide from him and his mother so he left to try to provide for them. But then after joining the 40 thieves, he just decided to abandon that so he could find the Hand. And, while I kinda understand that motivation, what doesn't make sense is what he says and does afterwards and how he didn't want to attend Aladdin's wedding. I guess the only way that coulda been fixed is if it was longer so they could explore these more. Given the budget, I can't blame them, but still. I think they coulda used a little less of the Genie maybe then more on them. Speaking of the Genie, Robin Williams is back and that's definitely a good thing considering, well, it's Robin Williams, so of course it's going to be funny. But maybe they spend a little too much on him and they could used that time for Aladdin and his dad. I don't even remember the songs. Which is so weird because the first Aladdin is one of the best Disney musicals ever, but I don't remember one song from this. The characters also don't feel like they have a lot of screen time like Jasmine, the Sultan and Abu. It's mostly on Aladdin, his dad and the Genie. But, with those problems, what're the good things in this? Well, the animation, while still not anything that great, is still pretty good and so is the lighting, colours, angles and movement of the characters. And when they actually do do this treasure hunt like an adventure, it's kinda fun and so is the climax at the end with the villain. And, while it doesn't always work, some of the human emotions are felt and you do get behind some of the characters even if not all of them make a lot of sense. Even Iago and Aladdin's dad get along well and they're fun to watch. And, as I just said, when the adventure get going, it's a lot of fun and you do want to keep going. Even the ending is kinda nice. Really, the best I think I can say for this is that I'm glad I saw, but I don't think I'd see it again. I would say check it out if you want, I just didn't find a lot in it. It was fine for me at least. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment