Saturday 3 June 2017

Wonder Woman

And so everyone, we've finally arrived at one of the most anticipated movies of the whole year and one of my most anticipated too, Wonder Woman. I was really excited going into this movie. Not just because I love comic book movies, but because I had heard a lot of great things about it before I went in. People were saying they really liked it and some were saying they loved it which means it woulda been the first DC.E.U movie that would actually be good and liked by a lot of people. And so, what did I think of it? I really liked it too. I don't think I loved it, but I had an absolute blast with this movie. This is finally the first DC.E.U movie I like that not a lot of other people do like. And, yes, I'm going to save the spoilers for later but first I'll go over the story without any spoilers. What's the story? It opens up with Diana getting her picture back from Bruce and we get a flashback with her origin back in the time of World War 1. When she was a girl and on Themyscira, she wanted to be a fighter but her mother wouldn't allow it but she would be training with her aunt anyway. As she grows up she gets stronger and her aunt manages to convince her mother to let her train. One day when she's training she uses the power of her bracelets and accidently hurts her. Feeling a little guilty, she runs off but then sees a plane crashing into the water and she helps the person inside it. A man named Steve Trevor played by Chris Pine. But then a bunch of Germans attack. They fight them but then her aunt is killed and they begin to question Steve and he explains that he stole a notebook belonging to a villain named Dr. Poison who's working on a gas to kill everyone. Diana believes that the one behind this is Ares, the God of War. She and Steve talk later and she then steals a shield, a lasso, a God Killing sword and her armoured suit. As she's about to leave with Steve, her mother talks to her and also gives her a tiara. And so then, the two of them leave to head off to London. And that's where I'm going to stop. I think that's a good spot where to stop without spoiling anything. Firstly, this cast is outstanding. I already really liked Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman and she's even better here. She's a lot of fun to watch and she is very naïve, but that really fits this character going to the outside world. She's also really full of joy and curiosity and that was fun to watch in the beginning of the movie. Chris Pine is awesome and pretty funny as Steve. I really cared about that character and he was just so much fun to watch. (By the way, am I the only one who noticed how weird or convenient that his name is Chris and he got the role of a character named Steve in movie set in a World War like Chris Evan with Captain America/Steve Rogers? And especially since this movie and Captain America: The First Avenger are kinda similar.) Anyway, the chemistry between Diana and Steve is there and I actually believed it. The entire rest of the cast is great as well. Robin Wright, Connie Nelson, Danny Huston, Lucy Davis, David Thewlis. All of them are great. I also really liked and really enjoyed the Steve's war friends. They were a lot of fun and I really liked them. The cinematography and direction from Patty Jenkins is great too. It's a really well told story and really well paced. Also, unlike some of the other DC.E.U movies, this movie is really well edited too. The action is also great too. Some the action in some of the other movies felt a little weird at times, especially in Suicide Squad. But here, it's really well choreographed and well shot. And so is the stunt work in a lot of these sequences. This movie is also really well balanced in comedy and drama. There were quite a lot of funny moments an the dramatic moments hit me hard. Not as hard as say, Logan or something, but still. There were still some pretty good dramatic moments. I also actually liked the finale. I thought it was awesome and the twists in it were just as awesome too. I would say my only problem with it is the villains. There's three of them and they have the same problem as the M.C.U villain. They're not memorable, they're not developed and they're beyond clichéd. They were fine I guess and I enjoyed watching them most of the time, especially the main villain and the performances were great, but still, they were pretty generic. But they weren't terrible. Overall, I really like Wonder Woman. And not like the other DC.E.U movies where they're a mess but I enjoy them, I mean this is a really good movie and I enjoy it for real as a really good movie. It's the best DC movie I seen in a long time, it's my favourite superheroine movie... which isn't saying a whole lot considering...
Image result for catwoman 2004Image result for elektra 2004Image result for supergirl 1984
But still, it might be my second or third favourite movie I've seen this year, it has me a lot more excited for Justice League and I'm so glad that this is the movie that's finally gotten this DC.E.U movie going and everyone enjoys. And, just in case you're wondering, no, there is no credit scene. In case you were thinking about staying to wait for one, this isn't any. I don't think that's a spoiler, but, just in case. Overall, I'm so happy to say definetly go see this movie because it is really, really good. Okay, now we're going to the spoilers, if you don't want it spoiled, go see it and then come back and read the rest.
Spoilers:
Okay, firstly, Steve's death. That was pretty sad, but something tells me that I saw it coming. But when he sacrificed himself inside the plane with those gas bombs, that really hit me. And the scene where we see what he said to Diana before that where he admits he loves her and he gives her the watch, that didn't make me cry in the least, but it was still sad and unlike some other DC movies where it feels like they're trying to force the dramatic moments onto you, this one really worked. But the biggest twist was where we see that Sir Patrick was actually Ares the whole time after Diana kills Ludendorff was awesome. Especially when he makes that armour he has in the comics. And that final fight with him and Diana was incredible. It did get kinda C.G.I heavy, but I still really liked it. I also loved the fight in the town where they save a bunch of people and Diana destroys the top of the building that the guy is in. That was so cool to see. Though, back to that villain thing, Danny Huston's character, Ludendorff, when you realise what he really is, you end up kinda caring less about him because he wasn't the main villain and the scenes with him before that were pretty weird and a little bland. The performance was good, but the character was kinda bland. But, I still had a great time with this movie and I hope all of you liked it too. And so everyone, that's my review of Wonder Woman, thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment