Friday 2 June 2017

The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea

So, I'm not gonna lie, one of the more guilty pleasure Disney sequels out there for me is this one. That's not to say I think it's good, I know it's not, but for some reason I kinda find it enjoyable. I remember first seeing this a couple of years ago and while I didn't think it was good, I was getting a little entertainment out of it. But, again, that's not to say it's good, it's not, but still. And with a story like this, I think I might know why. Anyway, what's the story? Ariel and Eric have given birth to a girl named Melody. On a day when she's still a baby, she's about to be introduced to her grandfather Triton, but then Morgana, Ursula's sister, kidnaps her and threatens to kill her unless Triton gives her the Trident. They manage to beat her but they decide to keep Melody away from the sea so she'll be safe and to never tell her anything about Atlantica while also building a wall to keep them out. Years later when she's a teenager, she keeps going under the wall and into the sea because she loves it so much. Sound familiar? Ahem...
Image result for Moana
Anyway, when Sabastian ruins a night that was supposed to be special, she thinks she's to blame, which doesn't make any sense, and she even finds the old locket she had when she was a baby and finds out that Atlantica is real and decides to run away to find it. She comes across a talking penguin and walrus and even Morgana who turns her into a mermaid but says she doesn't have enough power to keep her that way. She says that the only thing that does is Triton's Trident who she says stole it from her and says he's the real evil one. So Melody steals it, gives it to Morgana, betrays her mother and now Morgana is about to take over the world. Wow. Even with movies with this kinda premise, at least most of them knew how it do it right. Like with Moana for example, she loved the water and did want to go out on it too, but at least the character was written better and everything surrounding her and her world made sense and it was understandable and she never made any dumb mistakes. Here, it almost seems like the writers didn't entirely know what to do with a lot of this material. Which is so strange because this story should be so easy to make interesting and enjoyable. But instead we get a sloppy script with dumb moves being made and even the characters seem a little selfish and something like that. Like how Ariel and Eric have been lying to Melody all this time. I understand it was to protect her and they wanted to keep her away from Morgana. But still. And even more scenes like that. Even the songs aren't that good either because I don't remember one of them. The only one I like and think is kinda good is the first one.
But with that bad stuff, is that anything good in it? Well, some of the characters are likeable like Melody at times and Morgana's a pretty cool villain. And I think the animation is pretty good. Really good animation here. Even the voice acting is really good too. Some of the new and old voice cast is really spot on. And, like I said, for some reason, I kinda find this entertaining a little bit despite this really dumb script. So yeah, kinda hard to say whether or not I'd recommend it. I probably wouldn't, but if you're not doing anything and kinda bored, I guess you can watch it. It's not the worst way to spend an hour and fifteen minutes. That's really the best I can say for it. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment