Thursday 15 June 2017

Tarzan 2

So, kind of an interesting movie for me is this one because I remember first seeing this movie long ago when I younger. My brother rented it for me at a nearby store and so I watched and like it. But now years later, not so much. A lot of the things that happen here are just... dumb and nonsensical. What's the story? It's kind of a prequel where Tarzan is still a boy trying to fit in but he's still having a hard time doing so. But after an accident where he gets separated from the gorillas he thinks everyone would be better off if he wasn't with them so he runs away. While gone he runs into another family of gorillas. Two brothers and their mother and an older ape who's always scaring them by pretending to be this monster. He and Tarzan make a deal that if he doesn't tell them that he's not really a monster, he'll help him out. And the majority of the movie is the two of them growing to learn about each other and themselves as well. So, I will say that, while this movie isn't exactly good per say, there are actually some good things in it like some of the characters are kinda likable like the old characters and some of the new ones too. The animation looks really good and some of the character connections I kinda believed. Besides that though, this is an absolute boredom. I'm not gonna lie, I recently rewatched this movie to prep for this review and I fell asleep for a few minutes when I did. This is a story that you've seen a million times and nothing new is added to it. While, yes, some of the character connections are good and some of the new characters are kinda likeable, it doesn't excuse the fact that this is just a huge boring mess. Some of the more quiet moments are fine but the rest is watching Tarzan and the old ape binding. And again, while some of it can be nice, for the most part, it's just kinda boring because the way it's handled and the fact we've see it be done this way a bunch of times before. And some of the old characters almost kinda feel shoehorned in a little. Not a lot, just a little because of the way it's done too. That's something else that a lot of these Disney sequel have in common in terms of problems. A lot of the characters really feel one-dimensional and some of them either don't feel necessary or shoehorned in a little. Not all the sequels. Some of them do feel like they have a place, but not a lot. Some of the side characters are good here like Terk and Tantor. They're still good characters and I like them here. Can't say the same for the rest though. There is also a kind of mistake plot where Tarzan accidently reveals to the other apes about the older one being the monster that they're scared of. And that whole thing and especially with what comes right afterwards with the old ape and Tarzan arguing about doing that was really dumb because we know exactly what's going to happen when that happens. Though, I will say, like I just mentioned there, some of the quiet moments in this do actually work well like when a character is sorta being a person and they're allowed to not say anything. Those kinda scenes do work well. Not all of them but some of them do kinda get you in the feels at times. Obviously there isn't many twists in the story because this is a prequel so we know that none of the major characters are going to die. And, yeah, I'm just gonna say it, none of them do. There really aren't any surprises at all. Seriously, if I wanted to see a story like this done well, I'd watch that same kinda story from an episode of Naruto that did it better. So yeah, very small good things like animation and stuff like that that makes this not the worst but not even close to being the best either. I'd say if you're curious, you could watch it, it would just be kinda boring to ya. But in reality, I'd probably skip it. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment