Saturday 17 June 2017

Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure

With some of these Disney sequels seeming to be kinda close to the original in some way, Lady and the Tramp 2 is not excepting in some aspects. A lot of this film is kinda similar to the original. I'm not talking about the storytelling, even though that's kinda familiar at times too, I'm talking about things like the animation and some of the character's actions. But as a film on it's own, I don't hate it as much as I hate a lot of these other sequels, but it's still a big mess. What's the story? It opens up some time after the first movie where Lady and Tramp have puppies. Three of them are girls who look like Lady and the other is a boy who looks like Tramp, how convenient. The boy's name is Scamp and he's always getting into trouble because he wants to be wild and do whatever he wants. One day he runs away wanting to join a group of junkyard dogs. One of them named Angel is his age and they start to hit it off together with some moments together too. However, the leader of the junkyard dogs wants revenge on Tramp because he feels he betrayed them when he met Lady. And so the movie is Scamp trying to become of the junkyard dogs and Angel is trying to show him the right path while also having a difficult past. Unlike a lot of these sequels, the pacing in this is surprising pretty slow. And there are a lot of scenes that benefit from it like when a character just has to be still and feel whatever they're feeling. Those scenes work but then there are times where it's dwindling a little bit. And the characters can range from likeable to kinda unbearably clichéd. Some have voices that don't even make sense. Scamp and Angel have adult voices but they're puppies and Angel says she's been in and out of five families. How can a dog be a puppy and be in five families? Like I said, it makes no sense. It's even more nonsensical when the leader of the junkyard dog has a crush on her but he's an adult. How is any of this possible? The animation's really good but I don't think there's anything special about it. I guess that's what both these Lady and the Tramp movies were supposed to be. Enjoyable but not really anything that special. I guess I can't entirely find myself getting super into them because I don't they're my kinda movies. I do enjoy the first one because it is a good movie and it is a Disney Classic. For this though, it's pretty bad and the ending is kinda underwhelming with the climax and them having to deal with the junkyard dog leader. I will say the ending is kinda nice, I suppose, but even that has it flaws too because some things from that doesn't make a lot of sense either. So this is kind of an middle of the road movie for me a little bit because there is a small bit of charm to it, but it's still not good and I don't entirely know if I can say middle of the road movie, but still, I guess. Check it out if you want, I think it's kinda okay and kinda bad at times. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment