Monday 5 June 2017

Return to Neverland

Next up on the straight to video Disney sequels is the sequel to Peter Pan, Return to Neverland. I remember first seeing this movie years ago with my class in school and kinda finding fine I suppose. I mean, I was really young so I got some entertainment out of it. But, yeah, when looking at it again years later as a teenager, it definetly blows. I did not care for this movie at all when I rewatched it. I remember just kinda looking at my phone for a few of the scenes in this because I thought a lot of it was kinda boring. I didn't hate it like a lot of others, but it definetly not something I'd like to come back and watch again. What's the story? It's years later from the first movie and Wendy is now an adult with her kids, one of them being a girl named Jane who's the main character, and it's the middle of World War 2. But one night, Captain Hook comes and kidnaps her mistaking her for Wendy. They go back to Neverland but then Peter saves her. And Jane tells him and the Lost Boys that she doesn't imagine anything and doesn't believe in fairies, especially with her being in World War 2 and all that, so Peter and the boys try to help her have fun and try to be a kid since she hasn't been able to. And with her not believing in fairies, Tinkerbell begins to lose her powers. Okay, I'll admit, some of that actually is pretty clever and original, but the execution of a lot of them are poor. Not all of them, but most of them. I think really the best I can say for this is the same with Ariel's Beginning with the animation being the best part but that doesn't save the movie itself. And there's a stupid liar revealed part which I always hate and, they don't focus on it for too long, but it's still there and it's still irritating when they do it. There also isn't a ton of humour in it either, which is a big let down because there's a lot of comedy in the original. There are also some things in this that don't make sense like how there's this big octopus now after Hook instead of the crocodile. I mean it is kinda the same, but it doesn't make sense why they would replace it. Granted the ending with it is pretty cool, but, again, why would they change it. But the main problem I have with this is that it's just really boring and it really doesn't need to exist. Like a lot of these Disney sequel. Sure, I like and even love some of these straight to video ones, but the majority of them are just a waste of time, and this is no exception. A lot of this movie is Peter and the boys trying to help Jane have fun and to imagine things and to believe in fairies to help Tinkerbell. Although, I will say that the ending is actually pretty nice where Peter and Wendy talk at her house. That was actually a nice scene and it didn't seem forced. Captain Hook as well doesn't have a lot to him here. I loved him in the first movie but he's so wasted here. They coulda done a lot of comedy with him considering he's the funniest Disney villain ever in my opinion in the original movie, but they don't try that much with him. Overall, I don't really have a lot to say about this, it's just kinda a bland mess. Again, if you're curious to see it for yourself, it's not that bad. I mean it isn't the worst, but I just couldn't find much in it. Thank you all for reading and please comment down below to tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment